Our memory is obviously a very important aspect of our lives, and while for most people, their memory does fade with age, there are certain foods and drinks that can help you to retain an excellent memory. It is also important to use your brain, and as we get older, we need to engage our minds in puzzles and games, as this helps to retain the neural pathways that the brain creates. Here are some foods that are known to help preserve memory.
- Fatty Fish – Species such as salmon, trout, tuna and sardines have high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for a healthy brain, as these acids are actually used to build brain and nerve cells. Omega-3 fatty acids are known to delay age-related memory loss, plus they can keep Alzheimer’s Disease at bay.
- Coffee & Tea – If you love a cup of delicious coffee every morning, you’ll be pleased to learn that two of the main components of coffee, namely caffeine and antioxidants, are both essential for your brain. You might prefer Taiwan milk tea powder or like to drink your coffee ice-cold, both of which help your brain to stay healthy.
- Blueberries – Blueberries and other dark-skinned berries contain anthocyanins, which are plant compounds that have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help the brain to function.
- Turmeric – This spice is used in the making of Indian curries, and the main ingredient is curcumin, which can cross the blood-brain barrier and therefore provide essential nutrients to the brain. Turmeric is known to benefit sufferers of Alzheimer’s Disease, and it also can lift your mood.
- Broccoli – This amazing vegetable is very high in Vitamin K, which the brain needs in order to form sphingolipids, a special kind of fat that is found in brain cells. Broccoli also contains antioxidants that are known to be helpful for healthy brain development.
- Dark Chocolate – You will no doubt be very happy to learn that dark chocolate is good for the brain, as it contains flavonoids, caffeine and antioxidants, all of which are essential for correct brain development. Studies suggest that dark chocolate helps to maintain the brain in a healthy condition, which might be due to the flavonoids and the antioxidants.
- Nuts – Certain types of nuts, particularly walnuts, as a study showed that eating walnuts can make your cognitive abilities heighten. Nuts contain healthy fats, antioxidants and Vitamin E, all of which are known to be beneficial to the brain, while walnuts do contain omega-3 fatty acids.
- Oranges – It is a fact that Vitamin C is necessary for the brain, and you can obtain all the Vitamin C that you need by eating one medium sized orange per day.
- Eggs – Eggs are one of the most nutritious foods available, with Vitamins B6 and B12, folate and choline. Egg yolks are very high in choline content, which is why they are healthy, and studies have shown that eggs provide essential nutrients that the brain needs in order to maintain memory functions.
All of the above foods are known to contain the essential nutrients the brain needs and if you combine a healthy diet with exercises that engage the brain, you are less likely to develop memory issues.