By the time a loved one reaches the middle to late stages of dementia, many families are starting to consider their options for professional, full-time care in a community setting. Often, the challenges that accompany late-stage memory loss are difficult for a family member to care for on his or her own. Memory care communities offer an ideal solution for providing specialized personal care for loved ones with dementia, as well as peace of mind for families.
“As Alzheimer’s disease and dementia become more prevalent for our older generations, it’s our responsibility to create solutions for providing optimal care and support,” says Rob Low, Community Relations Director at Clarity Pointe™ Pensacola, a memory care assisted living community in Pensacola, Florida. “Clarity Pointe designs free-standing memory care communities for the sole purpose of providing those with dementia the support and personal care they need to enjoy an optimal quality of life. Our residents’ families find that their loved ones thrive with specialized environments and services created for the unique needs of their memory loss.”
If your family is considering full-time support, a specialized memory care community can offer unparalleled services delivered by a team highly trained in dementia care. With the support of a compassionate team of caregivers, your loved one can find the care they need to enjoy life to its fullest.
Enhanced Personal Care at a Memory Care Community
Memory care teams, such as the one at Clarity Pointe Pensacola, are specially trained to care for those with dementia and other forms of memory loss. In addition to their background skills, dementia caregivers understand the best approaches to caring for seniors who live with the daily challenges of their disease.
Here are just a few ways a memory care team can accommodate a loved one’s personal care:
- Understands the Unique Challenges of Dementia – The team at a memory care community understands how dementia affects a person’s health, mood and behavior. Caregivers have plenty of experience and expertise in caring for those with memory loss, and they can use their knowledge to provide the best care possible. They are trained in best practices and develop care techniques that work for their residents’ unique challenges. They are familiar with the symptoms of dementia, knowing what issues may be causing certain behaviors and how to manage them in the most effective and compassionate way.
- Uses Family Insights – Any care team worth its salt will work with a loved one’s family to better understand the individual and their medical and personal history. At Clarity Pointe, for example, families play a vital role in helping to develop a personal care plan that will meet their loved one’s needs. Families also provide valuable insight into their loved one’s personality, interests and life story. This information helps caregivers understand the person on a deeper level to develop meaningful relationships that lead to greater care and support.
- Focuses on Strengths – While care services that aren’t designed to care for those with dementia may only focus on a person’s limitations, memory care services focus on a person’s strengths and remaining abilities. Memory care teams still provide support for the areas of limitations, but they have a positive approach to caregiving that emphasizes the tasks that a person can still do on their own. For example, if a resident is capable of feeding herself as long as she doesn’t have to use a knife, a care team can make sure she is given meal options that include finger foods and bite-sized portions. Memory care teams encourage independence wherever possible while being available for support whenever necessary.
- Knows Their Likes and Dislikes – Memory care teams get to know their residents for who they are and the lives they lived before their journey with memory loss. They learn each resident’s life story, understanding what memories are still clear and meaningful. They also learn their residents’ preferences when it comes to activities, food, hobbies, conversation styles and more. Caregivers know that the best care comes from a personalized approach, so they treat each resident like the unique individual they are.
- Personalized Care Plans – One of the greatest advantages to knowing residents personally is the ability to create personalized care plans that support their specific needs. Not only can caregivers design personal care schedules and services tailored to each individual, but they can incorporate each resident’s interests and hobbies into daily activities and meaningful cognitive therapy. Personalized care plans allow for resident-centered services and help individuals experience joy and purpose.
- Creates Familiar Routines – Memory care teams understand how important routines are for those with dementia, and they work to maintain familiar routines for each resident’s schedule. For example, if your loved one always had a cup of coffee and read the paper before breakfast, caregivers can make arrangements to maintain this tradition. Caregivers are also aware of various symptoms that occur when routines are altered and can manage residents’ schedules to maintain their daily patterns.
- Balanced Life of Purpose – Dementia caregivers realize that dementia shouldn’t take away a loved one’s sense of purpose and fulfillment in life. They work to help residents find a satisfactory balance between leisure activities and meaningful work, whether that’s helping clean up after an activity, volunteering, or keeping a journal. Memory care teams balance private care and social life, understanding that all aspects of well-being come together to form a quality lifestyle.
A Clear Difference in Personalized Care
“At Clarity Pointe Pensacola, we combine the greatest advantages of personalized memory care support to offer each of our residents a lifestyle full of purpose and happiness,” shares Low. “Through top-notch reminiscent tools, collaboration with families, and ongoing training of our caregiving team, we ensure that residents experience enhanced living and compassionate support as we care for their memory loss.”
If you would like to learn more about personal care offered at a memory care community such at Clarity Pointe Pensacola, don’t hesitate to reach out to our team today!
Clarity Pointe … Our Difference is Clear
Clarity Pointe’s Specialized Memory Care “Living” Neighborhoods are truly changing lives for those with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias – and for those who love them. At Clarity Pointe, our mission is to ensure our residents lead connected and rewarding lives.
Unlike other providers that offer a secure memory care wing in a skilled nursing or assisted living center, Clarity Pointe Pensacola offers three freestanding, purpose-built Memory Care communities that are solely and entirely dedicated to Memory Care Assisted Living. Our communities blend luxurious surroundings with specialized care that is individualized to each resident and delivered by a compassionate, expert team of professionals.
We stay current on the latest trends and advancements in Alzheimer’s care and implement them into our residents’ care plans. Always moving forward, we combine the latest in evidence-based programming with luxurious, residential living and compassionate respectful care.
For each of our residents, we offer a life that is engaging, fulfilling, inspiring and meaningful.